Monday, January 18, 2016

BLOG OF THE WEEK ~ SUSAN CHAST ON PEACE

My friends, we wound the old year down with poems on peace, both inner and outer, and began the new one the same way. Our own Susan Chast, of Susan's Poetry, frequently writes beautifully on this topic, as it is intrinsic to her beliefs. I always love her work. Recently Susan wrote three poems that resonated especially, given the times in which we find ourselves. Wars rage while children suffer, and gun violence has never been so frequent. I asked Susan if she would agree to featuring them and happily she said yes. We do hope you will join in the discussion.








Sherry: Susan, I am so happy to be chatting with you! Would you like to give us a little update about what�s happening for you these days?

Susan: Hey, Sherry! I am honored to be chosen for Blog of the week, and especially honored to work with you and Mary, Rosemary and Sumana at Poets United. I am actually about to reduce my activity here for two months, as I will be Artist in Residence at Pendle Hill, the Quaker Retreat Center in Wallingford, Pennsylvania, PA, from the 21st of January through the 17th of March. Sumana Roy will cover the Midweek Motifs except for two in February. Thank you, Sumana!

Sherry: Oh, my goodness! A writing retreat in a Quaker setting! It does not get much better - or more peaceful! - than that! You will have us all green with envy!

Susan
I have lots of work to do!  I�ll be working on the autobiographical novel �Alice in Wonder,� that I started writing six years ago, hoping to write the 2nd half where Alice, fired from her storytelling job for telling R-rated tales to children, begins to write, and also attends a reunion of her 1970's multi-racial feminist theatre company. While there, I�ll also take notes for a faith-based solo performance, revise poems for a 3rd publication, and lead Friday morning conversation and writing sessions on the topic of personal confrontations with racism.

Sherry: Susan, that sounds absolutely wonderful! How fulfilling it will be to tick each item off the list. I am especially interested in the performance piece. Would be great if you brought back a video we could feature!

Meanwhile, I would love to include, if you agree, your recent poem 'What Really Matters', which seems like the very kernel of inner peace. Let's look.


What Really Matters
To get up from sleep
To get dressed (or not)
To be kind to someone
To give and receive inspiration and affection
To make love
To witness
To be


Sherry: Beautifully and simply put, my friend. It slows the breath and heartbeat as one reads and says to oneself: yes. This is the essence.

Susan: This came out of a meditation, reaching through angst to the bones of relaxation, calm and mindfulness minute by minute, as it flowed into awareness. What else can matter without these? And the someone to be kind to can be flora or fauna or you and me.

Sherry: Yes. I love it. As well as your beautiful poem, 'Holy Day'. (I am so enjoying this unfolding chat. Our own little retreat, while we talk.)


Susan:  Me too!

Holy Day

I fall into your arms,
teach me to love instead of fear.
I welcome you as my true guest�
teach me to love instead of fear.

Hello today, hello minute.
Hello worship, hello silence.
Hello prayer, hello presence�
teach me to love instead of fear.

This is the day nature has made
and God has filled (or vice versa).
Let me rejoice and be glad in it.
Teach me to love instead of fear

This is the very day the world
is made, and us and all in it.
I welcome you as my true guest�
teach me to love instead of fear.

Sherry: This is exactly it, my friend, as you express so well: "teach us to love instead of fear".

Susan: I�m so happy that you chose this poem as--like the one above--it arose spontaneously out of a need, and then I discovered it wasn�t the need of a moment, but the truth of every moment in which I hope to see change and peace in the world. 

You�ll notice it contains some simple common prayer, and addresses a new day. It starts from a specific push to face and embrace each new day with courage, and then becomes a broad desire to leave the safety zones that support the status quo. This very minute is the one that counts. So yes, this is spiritual, this is Christmas, this is social and this is political. This is about the direction of Creativity.

Am I being obscure?

Sherry: Never clearer, kiddo. Smiles. Now let's just get crazy-happy with 'I Swim In Love', why not?

I Swim In Love
Two dove-shaped planters float past, owl-
like cups hoot and spit up hot water and
pigeons roost in boats� rotten portholes, wet
cacophony, salt taste and porpoise smell�

I stand in shades of light.

Seaweed and rusty cans, broken glass and
slick clay, webbed toes and finger wings lift up
and draw down navigation charts,
tree tops and stars covered by windy hair�

I swim in night.

Echo-location, eyes in heart, tongue in
cheek echo-laughter, crinkled faces meet,
kiss, kiss under mistletoe-shaped algae
think, feel waltzing over infinity�

I rain in light.

Too beautiful, she said, to live in this�
I�ll visit, but don�t ask me to stay. Hey,
I ask, if you have once centered in truth
how can you ever refuse the power?

I weep in love. 



Sherry: "I weep in love" right along with you, my friend. So very beautiful. Your Quaker faith has always called to me, centered in peace and love as it is.


Susan: Thank you, Sherry.  This came from sitting still.  I have a number of bird images, ceramics and statuettes in my home--not by plan--but by years of gifting and rearranging. I imagined them alive, in their own environments, in the lives and current locations of refugees who lose their homes and in me. 

How beautiful to be part of all creation! How terrifying! And how necessary. In all fairness, I am swimming my way back from decades of running away from my own power. Literally. I blocked it in grad school, when I became aware it could get me in trouble. And yes, I�ve done some radical work, but not anywhere near what I am capable of if I lived my Quaker faith and common humanity fully. 

So the last section is me speaking to myself. I am hoping my writing begins to correct the imbalance of power. Oh--�echo-location� is a bat�s means of navigating--not to follow another, but to find its own way.

Sherry: Wow. That is pretty cool! You recently published your second book. Both volumes look absolutely beautiful. Kids, I will include the links here for you.






Thank you so much, Susan, for your beautiful poems, and your thoughts on peace and faith. I appreciate it so much. Have a wonderful time at your writer's retreat, then come back and tell us all about it. Maybe another Chat!

Didn't I tell you this would be a treat? Do feel most welcome to join the conversation, and to share your thoughts on peace in the comments. And do come back and see who we talk to next. Who knows? It might be you!


No comments:

Post a Comment