Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Poets United Midweek Motif ~ Recovery/Healing










"And someday . . .

If the darkness knocks on your door

Remember her, remember me

We will be running as we have before

Running for answers, running for more"







*** *** ***


Midweek Motif ~ 
Recovery/Healing

It will surprise no one that my first motif after back surgery is Recovery.  My lumbar spine is now fusedfour of the five vertebraeand the pain in my legs is GONE!   Thank you, thank you for all your good wishes!  

I am particularly grateful to poet Michael Ryan who has given me permission to use his amazing poem "A Thank-You Note."


Life is precious.

I think about how precious when I look at the news of wars, refugees and broken environments; when I see marvelous new inventions and creative ideas about interacting with all living things; when friends heal into more life or sometimes into death.

Your Challenge is to write a poem 
that heals or has a motif of recovery. 

*** *** ***




A Thank-You Note






BY MICHAEL RYAN

                                                                                                          For John Skoyles




My daughter made drawings with the pens you sent,


line drawings that suggest the things they represent,


different from any drawings she?�?at ten?�?had done,


closer to real art, implying what the mind fills in.


For her mother she made a flower fragile on its stem;


for me, a lion, calm, contained, but not a handsome one.


She drew a lion for me once before, on a get-well card,


and wrote I must be brave even when it�s hard.




Such love is healing?�?as you know, my friend,


especially when it comes unbidden from our children


despite the flaws they see so vividly in us.


Who can love you as your child does?


Your son so ill, the brutal chemo, his looming loss


owning you now?�?yet you would be this generous


to think of my child. With the pens you sent


she has made I hope a healing instrument.








(Source: Poetry (July/August 2013), used with permission.)




Homework

BY ALLEN GINSBERG
Homage Kenneth Koch
If I were doing my Laundry I�d wash my dirty Iran
I�d throw in my United States, and pour on the Ivory Soap, scrub up Africa, put all the birds and elephants back in the jungle,
I�d wash the Amazon river and clean the oily Carib & Gulf of Mexico,   
Rub that smog off the North Pole, wipe up all the pipelines in Alaska,   
Rub a dub dub for Rocky Flats and Los Alamos, Flush that sparkly Cesium out of Love Canal
Rinse down the Acid Rain over the Parthenon & Sphinx, Drain Sludge out of the 
Mediterranean basin & make it azure again . . . 
(Read the rest HERE at the Poetry Foundation)

Motion Picture Footage From "An Inconvenient Truth"

            *** *** *** ***  
Please share your new poem using Mr. Linky below
and visit others in the spirit of the community.

       (Next week Susan's Midweek Motif will be ~ Teacher, One who Teaches)

No comments:

Post a Comment