Monday, April 2, 2012

Susquehuh?



Yesterday I spent many hours snaking down Route 15 south--from the Finger Lakes region of New York, through western Pennsylvania, on my way back home to DC. The signage along the Susquehannah River was not like anything I had ever encountered. This is coming from a girl who has spent a lot of time in the deep South, which I had always thought had the monopoly on memorable signage. A few favorites:


-"Nipple Convalescent Home"
-"Green Shingle Inn" (not an inn at all, but a restaurant)
-"Chipmunk Pistol $139.95" 
-The oddly poetic McDonald's sign asking:
Do not go ordinary-- 
Try our spicy chicken--
-"County Line Beverage" (points for honesty!)


Also, this friendly sea dragon. 


He lives next to the Burgundy Steakhouse--which is not, as far as I can tell, dragon-themed. 


I have named him Lester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment